1. 132 students received the Singapore-Industry Scholarship (SgIS)1 at the 2022 SgIS Award Ceremony today. The ceremony was held in person for the first time after two virtual editions, with Minister for Education, Mr Chan Chun Sing, as the Guest-of-Honour.
2. Launched in 2012, the SgIS aims to nurture a core of Singaporean industry leaders to steer the development of the country’s key strategic industries. To date, it is the only scholarship offered in partnership between the Government and local industries. Into its 11th year, SgIS has established itself as one of the choice scholarships in Singapore, growing from 28 Sponsoring Organisations (SOs) in 2012 to 79 this year.2 The 79 SOs come from 14 key sectors, including biomedical and pharmaceuticals, electronics, engineering, lifestyle and food, and social services. Since its inception, the SgIS has awarded scholarships to 1,272 recipients.
3. Despite two years of economic uncertainties brought about by the pandemic, the continued strong support for SgIS from our SOs highlights the importance of developing a pipeline of local talent that is essential for Singapore’s economy and businesses in the long run.
4. ST Logistics has been with SgIS since 2016. Its Chief Operating Officer, Mr Fun Kum Wah said: “The SgIS brings in aspiring talents who have keen interest to work in strategic sectors like supply chain and logistics. In ST Logistics, we involve our young scholars in innovation projects such as the Innovation Lab, where they are part of the innovation team bringing projects from research to conceptualisation to implementation. We look forward to working with them to develop innovative technological solutions for future-ready operations.”
5. Human Resource Director at DeClout, Ms Clarin Soh said: “SgIS is a multi-industry scholarship in collaboration with the Singapore Government, providing scholarships to Singapore Citizens at various levels of their university studies both locally and abroad. This multi-industry gateway allows DeClout Group to engage, onboard and groom scholars from multiple disciplines, who can thereafter be valuable talent additions to our portfolio of companies.”
6. Beyond offering aspiring local talent the chance to contribute to Singapore’s key sectors, all SgIS scholars are also given exposure to industry-relevant experiences and development opportunities to hone their leadership skills, as part of the SgIS Scholars’ Development and Engagement Programme. The programme includes:
- Internships and mentorships conducted by SOs to enable undergraduate scholars to gain a head start in acquiring industry knowledge;
- Forums with thought leaders from the public and private sectors to expose the scholars to broader issues concerning Singapore and its key industries; and
- Social activities for scholars to develop their leadership and soft skills, and contribute back to the SgIS community and the wider society through the SgIS Scholars’ Network Executive Committee (EXCO)3.
7. By end-2022, about 770 SgIS scholars would have graduated from university. With more partners coming on board, more development opportunities will be available for Singaporean students who seek to contribute to their chosen SO and industry. This will put the SgIS in a good position to groom a sustainable pipeline of industry leaders who can drive Singapore’s industrial growth for the long term.
1. More information on SgIS can be found at https://www.moe.gov.sg/sgis/about-sgis
2. The list of SOs can be found at https://www.moe.gov.sg/sgis/sponsoring-organisations/industries
3. The SgIS Scholars’ Network EXCO consists of SgIS scholars who are passionate about contributing back to the SgIS community. They plan and organise bonding, learning and community involvement activities for their fellow scholar
This article first appeared on 16 August 2022 on Ministry of Education site:
The image is taken from https://www.facebook.com/singaporeindustryscholarship